Translating the REHVA Terminology list
This manual describes how to translate the English word list into your native language.
About the list
The language used is English. ASHRAE terms have been incorporated, and where applicable the American spelling for single word terms only has been inserted in brackets next to the English word (i.e. gauge (gage)). In multi word terms the American spelling has been converted to the English spelling to avoid unnecessary duplication of terms.
Many multi word terms were duplicated, as some sources separated the words with hyphens (-), and other sources used spaces (i.e. state-of-the-art; state of the art). To avoid unnecessary duplication of these multi word terms, spaces only have been used.
Some European sources have used American spellings. For quick reference of some differences between the English and American spellings found during compilation of the English terms, see the list below.
How to translate into your language
Step 1: How to get the list of words
- If you are the designated translator for your language you can send an email to to request the required Excel file for translation. Ensure that you are working on the latest version of the base list!
Step 2: Complete the list of words
- First of all: there are some frequently asked questions (F.A.Q.). Read them too!
Some important items:
- It is very important, that you do not change the 'Word nr'!
- If there are more translation options for one word, you need to duplicate the line and increment the OrderId (be sure to copy the Word nr. too!).
Example (The term 'amplitude' has 2 translations):
- Select the row by clicking on the row selector.
- Copy the row by clicking the menu options Edit - Copy
- Select the row below the row you've just copied
- Insert the row by clicking the menu options Insert - Copied cells.
- Don't forget to clear all cells, except for the Word Nr and the English term.
For every English word there are five mandatory columns to be filled in; also one desirable and two optional ones:
Term in your language
The translated word in your language.
The type of word, which must be 'Noun', 'Verb' or 'Adjective'.
Enter m (masculine), f (feminine), n (neuter) or c (common).
The default value for every translation is '1'. Increase this number when you have more than one translation. The order-id is used in case of several translations and determines the order in which the translations will be displayed on the dictionary website.
The conjugation(s) of the plural form. Only enter the conjugation, preceded by a tilde sign. Several conjugations should by separated by slashes. E.g.: ~s/~en. Previously, a minus-sign was used. You do not need to update your translations, the minus-sign will be converted automatically when we are processing your translations.
Necessary (not mandatory, but very desirable):
In case of a noun, enter the article (like 'the' in English).
You may enter a description when the translation needs explanation (not used until the introduction of the online dictionary).
This column is officially not in version 2 of the base list sheet. However, it can be useful to add some comments for other translators. These can be placed in column L (12th column).
Columns A and D are reserved for technical purposes. Please leave them blank.
Step 3: Save and E-mail the list
Please find here the F.A.Q. created by the translators.
When the list is completed, it should be saved as a new file and e-mailed back to cg@ , including a short description of the file, the language and any comments, where deemed necessary. E-mail sent to this address will be received by Chiara Girardi. rehva.eu